The formula for a whisky sour is a deceptively simple one, but the balance of tastes is a delicate one to strike. Excessively sugary or wince-inducingly sharp are both anathema, but hit the perfect sweet-and-sour spot and it’s one of the finest cocktails of them all.
In this version, our Head of Bar Phil Sanders muddles the dark walnut warmth of the Nocino with the sweetness of the toasted almonds in the amaretto. The liqueurs play off against each other to highly aromatic (and highly delicious) effect.
The sugar syrup primarily adds body rather than sweetness, as the amaretto is sufficient to balance the complex nuttiness of this highly aromatic, sophisticated yet Christmassy sour. Certain to please even the most exacting of palates – and guests.
NUTCRACKER SOUR INGREDIENTS
- 25ml Grain Stories Heritage Corn Whisky
- 25ml Nocino
- 15ml Super Sour or acid blend (Make your own by combining citric, malic, and tartaric acids or buy a premix)
- 10ml Amaretto
- 5ml Sugar syrup
- 20ml Egg white, Aquafaba, or Miracle Foamer
- 3 dashes of Ginger Bitters (or Angostura is a good alternative)
NUTCRACKER SOUR STEP-BY-STEP RECIPE
- Select a delicate Old Fashioned glass, or a tumbler.
- Add all the ingredients to a Boston shaker, top with ice, and shake for at least 15 seconds.
- Strain the ice out of the shaker, and dry shake (without ice) the contents to increase the foam.
- Add a large ice cube to the glass and strain the contents of the shaker into the glass.
- As the foam settles, add three drops of bitters to the surface in a triangular shape. Using a cocktail stick, create droplets.