A decadent, fruity and fragrant big brother to the classic whisky sour, the New York Sour is an intricate, layered cocktail, born in the late 19th century in the United States.
Whilst traditionally constructed with bourbon, we have found our Oxford Rye Whisky is the perfect base due to its notes of sweet ginger cake and its creamy, silky finish. Though complex in appearance, the New York Sour is actually quite easy to make, marking it out as the ideal choice for dinner parties.
Our Grain Stories Heritage Corn Whisky would also provide a glorious base to this rich cocktail. The key difference, besides ABV, between the two is the corn whisky more closely resembles a US bourbon and packs a fiery kick piercing through on the palate.
We typically serve ours in a Nick and Nora glass, a popular stemmed glass named after a pair of fictional detectives from the 30’s and 40’s.
NEW YORK SOUR INGREDIENTS
- 50ml Oxford Rye Whisky The Graduate
- 20ml lemon
- 10ml sugar syrup
- 5ml miracle foam or 20ml egg white
- Red wine
NEW YORK SOUR STEP-BY-STEP RECIPE
- Take your selected glassware and fill with ice to chill the glass.
- Add ice to your cocktail shaker, followed by the whisky, lemon, sugar syrup and miracle foam or egg white. Shake hard. You will get more and firmer foam if you do a sour shake (dry shake, no ice, followed by a wet shake, with ice) or even better a reverse dry shake (wet shake, with ice, followed by a dry shake).
- Once you can see a good division between the foam and the liquid, very gently place your bar spoon or a teaspoon in a downwards position, hovering above the cocktail. Slowly and sparingly pour a small amount of red wine so that it passes over the top of your spoon and into the drink. In theory, this will produce a delicate, floral design in your glass. You can use a cocktail stick to stylise and personalise the design to your taste.
- No garnish is needed but if you’re a fan of that signature citrus bite then you can add a lemon twist, making sure to express the oils into the cocktail and around the rim of the glassware. Hang the lemon on the side of the glassware. Alternatively add three drops of angostura bitters to the surface of the phone and stylise into drop shapes with a cocktail stick.