The Buck cocktail family are a refreshing, reviving clan; a potent mix of spirit mixed with a citrus twist and ginger beer. Deceptively simple, but completely delicious.
Traditionally, the Kentucky Buck is whisky-based, but our Head of Bar Phil Sanders went rogue and used our Oxford Rye: not a whisky, but one of the purest expressions of our heritage rye. With its spicy sandalwood, vanilla and creamy praline, the Oxford Rye makes the perfect base for the Buck. The strawberry gives it a satisfyingly fruity twist and the ginger beer, a long, cool finish. Refreshing and wonderfully moreish.
KENTUCKY BUCK INGREDIENTS
- 50ml Oxford Rye Spirit
- 15ml Fresh lime juice
- 10ml 1:1 Sugar syrup (simple syrup)
- 15ml Strawberry Shrub (see below)
- Ginger beer
- Mint leaves and a strawberry (to garnish)
KENTUCKY BUCK STEP-BY-STEP RECIPE
- Select a Tom Collins or Highball glass
- Place all ingredients in a Boston shaker, add ice and do a short shake.
- Strain into a highball, add ice, and top with ginger beer.
- Add a sprig of mint and a split strawberry.
HOW TO MAKE A STRAWBERRY SHRUB
- 500g strawberries
- 250ml water
- 500g sugar
- 100ml cider vinegar
- Half the strawberries.
- Combine all the ingredients into a large lidded jar and shake vigorously (you can muddle the strawberries if you want but this can also be done later if the strawberry taste isn’t coming through enough).
- Refrigerate for 48 hrs, checking on it periodically to shake and taste.
- After two days, strain the fruit solids through a fine strainer or muslin cloth. Use the liquid as desired.